Over time, mattresses can accumulate dust, odors, and stains that affect both their appearance and your sleep quality. But fret not! There’s a simple household ingredient that can come to the rescue – baking soda.
We’ll walk you through the process of cleaning your mattress using baking soda. This versatile powder acts as a natural deodorizer and stain remover, helping to freshen up your sleep surface without the need for harsh chemicals.
how to clean a mattress with baking soda
Benefits of Cleaning a Mattress with Baking Soda
Baking soda is a kind of natural cleaner that can help get rid of dirt, stains, and smells on your mattress. It’s safe for all sorts of fabrics, even soft ones. Here are some good things about using baking soda to clean your mattress. And if you’re looking for mattresses that are good and not too expensive, you can explore Affordable Best Mattress Options for some helpful choices.
- Baking soda is inexpensive and easy to find. You can find it at most grocery stores or online.
- Baking soda is nontoxic and gentle, making it safe to use around children and pets.
- Baking soda does not contain harsh chemicals or fragrances that can irritate your skin or lungs.
- Baking soda is effective at removing dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens from your mattress.
How to Prepare a Baking Soda Solution
To prepare a baking soda solution for cleaning your mattress, you will need:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1-quart warm water
- 1 tablespoon dish soap
- A clean spray bottle
- In a bowl, mix the baking soda, warm water, and dish soap until the baking soda is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into the spray bottle.
- To use, simply spray the solution onto your mattress and let it sit for 15 minutes before wiping it away with a damp cloth.
Step-by-Step Guide to Cleaning a Mattress with Baking Soda
Assuming your mattress is stained:
- Strip the bed and launder all removable parts including the mattress pad, if possible. Check the care labels first to avoid damaging the fabric.
- Vacuum the entire mattress surface with the upholstery attachment to remove any dirt, dust, hair, or other debris. If you don’t have a vacuum with an upholstery attachment, go over the mattress with a stiff brush to loosen any dirt so it can be sucked up by the vacuum cleaner.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the entire surface of the mattress. For extra stinky spots, pour a little vinegar on top of the baking soda and let it fizz for a few minutes before proceeding to step 4.
- Let the baking soda sit on the mattress for at least 30 minutes (longer is better) to absorb any remaining odor-causing moisture and oils in the fabric.
- Vacuum up all of the baking soda using your vacuum’s upholstery attachment.
Tips for Cleaning and Maintaining Your Mattress
Assuming you have a mattress with a removable cover:
- Start by taking the mattress cover off and washing it in hot water. If your mattress cover is not machine washable, spot-clean it with a mild detergent.
- While the mattress cover is drying, sprinkle baking soda on the bare mattress and let it sit for at least 30 minutes (but ideally overnight).
- After the allotted time has passed, vacuum the baking soda off of the mattress using the upholstery attachment on your vacuum cleaner.
- Spot-clean any remaining stains with a mild detergent and a damp cloth. Rinse the area with clean water and blot it dry.
- Once the mattress is completely dry, put on a fresh mattress cover and make sure to wash it regularly according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Using baking soda to clean your mattress is simple and doesn’t cost much. It’s a good way to make sure your mattress stays fresh. Baking soda helps take away smells, soaks up moisture, and lifts dirt off the mattress. If you do this often, you’ll sleep in a clean and healthy place! By following these easy steps, your mattress will look new for a long time. And if you’re searching for mattresses without fiberglass, you can check out Top Picks for Mattresses Without Fiberglass for some great options.